Could You Drive For A Living?

There are lots of jobs out there if you enjoy driving and would like to make use of this skill.  From carrying passengers, to carrying heavy loads in small or large vehicles, if this is something that you feel passionate about, them read on to find out more.

Carrying passengers
Some of the more obvious types of jobs that involve driving include those where you would carry passengers from one place to another.  This might be through public transport such as a bus or coach, but also through businesses such as a private taxi firm.

To do these types of jobs you'll need a full, clean license.  But to carry passengers you'll also need to apply for a Passenger Carrying Vehicle (PCV) driving licence.  Age restrictions often apply and you'll probably need to pass a medical test.  You'll also be given specialist training.

Dealing with the public requires more than just driving skills for these types of jobs, however.  You'll need to be friendly, sociable, polite and accurate when handling money.  You might also deal with difficult people so you'll need to be able to handle tricky or awkward situations.

Could You Drive For A Living?bus

A chauffeur drives people from one place to another, but it's a bit more glamorous than going on public transport.  Chauffeurs often drive fancy cars such as limousines with private number plates, and are usually needed for important occasions such as weddings, functions or celebrity affairs.  You'll need exceptional public service skills in this job as well as a smart appearance.  As you're waiting hand and foot on your clients, you'll need to look after their needs.  Chauffeur drivers will also need a PCV licence and possibly a private hire licence.

Van driver
Van drivers drive vans from one place to another, transporting a wide range of goods.  The type and size of van that they drive depends on the goods that they are transporting, the distance they need to go and what type of licence the driver has.  Vans up to 3.5 tonnes can be driven by anyone with a full driving licence.  But vans between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes will require the driver to have a category 1 licence.  A special type of licence called a Security Industry Authority (SIA) Cash and Valuables in Transit Licence will be required if the driver is transporting valuable items or cash.

Lorry driver
If you really like driving and don't mind moving from place to place, then a lorry driver could be the vocation for you.  You'll need to get a special licence called a Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) licence, and you'll need to pass a medical test, too.  Driving a lorry involves transporting goods from one place to another.  You could work locally driving small distances or you could be a long-distance driver where you are required to haul goods from one part of the country to another, or even overseas.
Driving a lorry is usually solitary work, so it's not ideal if you like the company of others.  You could also be away for long periods of time, often stuck on roads in traffic, so you'll need to be patient and not mind working shift patterns or varying routines.

There are lots of other types of vehicles that you could drive if this was an area of work you'd like to pursue, but the above gives you a snapshot of some of the most popular examples.
James Harper
About the Author:

This article was written by James Harper on behalf of The Plate Market, retailers of private number plates. Visit their site to see what private number plates they have on offer.

No comments