Here are her six best clothing preservation tips:
- We’ve all experienced that moment of absolute horror when discovering that our favourite NW5 jumper has been feeding a family of moths for a whole season – I know I have! A tip for every women who is loathe to ever repeat this, it is essential to store those signature coats and pencil skirts you’ve spent a lot of time and money on in a clean storage space. Rather than risk overexposure to light and dirt, which is known to fade and eat away at fabric over time, ensure that your clothes are sheltered and hung correctly to avoid any nasty surprises down the line.
- Make sure that your clothing is clean before storing. If left, invisible stains from deodorant and perfume residue can set and stain blouses.
- Those favourite knits you can’t bear to part with need to be stored rolled or flat if you want to enjoy them for another season. These can become stretched and misshapen if left on hangers for too long.
- Clothing preservation 101 dictates that delicate items ought to be stored flat between layers of tissue paper.
- Your vintage hoard should be taken to a reputable dry cleaner who understands the fragile nature of the fabrics (and your emotional attachment).
- If you’re looking to save up some money for that elegant bolero jacket you’ve been eyeing, invest in a steamer to cut down on dry cleaning costs. Like a breath of fresh air to your garments, this useful addition to your closet will keep your purchases new and ready-to-wear.
Clothing preservation is something all style savvy girls needs bear in mind when fighting the ravages of time and dirt on their prized clothing pieces. Keep the above in mind the next time you’re confronted with a high-street trend that sends you running for the safe vestiges of your own closet!
Image is licensed under CC Attribution
Bella Gray is a sartorlialist who loves to blog about her latest fashion revelations. Finding her inspiration in quintessential designer dresses from the catwalk to the manikin, Gray is your go-to-gal for all the latest style trends and hot topics.